A Travellerspoint blog



sunny 87 °F

Hey everyone, sorry its been a while since we were last in touch there wasnt much internet availible in fiji unless we were willing to wait 10 minutes for a page to load! but basically we arrived in Fiji all good on the 22cnd may, and the next day began our tour of the main island (Viti Levu) our first stop was Malo Malo village, traditonal working Fijan village, we walked around saw the well (their only source of water) church and their houses etc, they werent exactly living in the best conditons but they were happy. we then went sandboarding down the sand dunes which was alot of fun! and in the evening we arrived at our resort and at dinner time we watched a fijan dance show and they got us all to join in and we had a massive conga line of about 150 people dancing round the resturant!
the next day we began our 4 hour trek, it rained the night before and this got very muddy! about 3 hours into the trek we hit a stream whcih we had to walk through which is normally only ankle deep, we got there and it was waist deep, that was hard work trekking through the water!! when we finished the trek we hit the river and jumped in some rubber tubes and floated back down the river, it was a cloudy day though and it was absolutly freezing in the river, we then came to a waterfall which we jumped off and then made our way back down the river in the pouring rain in some longboats.
Day 3, we stopped in Sevu whcih is the capital, we saw the prision which really did not look somewhere youd like to go... and we stopped to buy some pens and paper to take the Fijan high school we were vising in the afternoon. We arrived at the high school and had a kid give us a tour round, it was pretty basic to say the least, and most of the kids boarded at the school and all they had was a wooden bunk bed they made themseleves in their home economics class and no matress, but they were so thankful and so proud to show it to us.
our next stop was another fijan village where we had a kava ceremony with the cheif of one of the provinces of Fiji. Kavas like this root they get and mix it with water and drink every night and its ment to relax all your nerves and make your whole body feel numb and most fijans are dependant on it to help them sleep. it tasted absolutly disgusting! it was like drinking a puddle but we had to drink it as it was disresputul if we didnt, and we didnt fancy being kicked out of the village. the girls had to drink 2 bowls and then we got to go and make braclets with the fijan women but the guys had to stay until it was all finsihed and they had about 10 bowls each! we then walked around the village and played with the kids and spoke with the loclas whcih is cool, all their english is really good!
on our last day of the tour we stopped off at some natural hot mud pools, which felt pretty disgusting to go in at first but once you got used to it it was pretty relaxing we then washed off in some natural hot springs and jumped back on the bus and made our way back to Nadi where our tour finished. we stayed in nadi for two more nights and got some sun bathing done, Josh also made friends with a few dogs which followed us absolutly everywhere!
the next day we took a boat across the beachcomber island, we stayed in a 140 bed dorm that night and we had food in our bag whcih we left on the floor, we spent the day on the beach and when we came back in the evening their was mice in all our stuff!!
the next day we took a boat across to Mana island and we stayed tehir for 5 nights, everyones so chilled, the locals call it 'Fiji time' basically doing nothing all day! we werent exactly living in paradise though, our shower was a drip of cold water coming out of a pipe and the toilets kept blocking up whcih absolutly stank, it was cool though as we were lliving in the village using all the same facillities as the locals. we went down to the set of survivor one day and colleted some coconuts and made jewlery out of the sheels and thats the most productive thing we did our whole time their! we had some jumpers and stuff we didnt need any more from nz so we gave them to some of the villagers and i gave my forest shirt to one of the kids. we took a boat back to the main land (one of the bumpiest boat rides weve ever been on!) we had one more night in Nadi, and we went to some markets then flew to La the next day. We left Fiji at 11:25am june 4th and after 18 hours of travelling arrived in LA at 12:15 june 4th (so less than hour later!!) so we were pretty jetlagged!!
Hope the weathers all good back home and summers starting to kick in!! lots of love charly and josh! xxx

Posted by charlyjosh 15:54 Archived in Fiji Tagged backpacking

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint